November 14-15, 2011, Manchester: The IMPACT project (http://www.impact-project.eu) and the Taverna team runned a free hackathon on the use of Taverna workflows in IMPACT and cultural heritage digitisation.
Attendees examined the general suitability of the Taverna workflow management system and the related myExperiment environment for use within the digitisation and document analysis domain, with a special emphasis on workflows related to OCR processing as were developed in the course of the IMPACT project. Related issues like long-term preservation and natural language processing have also been touched upon (from http://impact-mygrid-taverna-hackathon.wikispaces.com/).
Various SCAPE project members contributed to the workshop. A list of participants and an agenda of the event can be found here.
- The SCAPE Project has closed on 2014-09-30. See Past Events above.
- Scape Demonstration: Migration of audio using xcorrSound 30/09/2014As part of the scape project, we did a large-scale experiment and evaluation of audio migration using the xcorrSound tool waveform-compare for content comparison in the quality assurance.I did a presentation of the results at the demonstration day at the State and University Library, see the SCAPE Demo Day at Statsbiblioteket blog post by Jette G. Junge.AndBoletteJurik
- Six ways to decode a lossy JP2 26/09/2014*/ Some time ago Will Palmer, Peter May and Peter Cliff of the British Library published a really interesting paper that investigated three different JPEG 2000 codecs, and their effects on image quality in response to lossy compression. Most remarkably, their analysis revealed differences not only in the way these codecs encode (compress) an image, but alsojohan
- Tool highlight: SCAPE Online Demos 23/09/2014Now that we are entering the final days of the SCAPE project, we would like to highlight some SCAPE Quality Assurance tools that have an online demonstrator. See http://scape.demos.opf-labs.org/ for the following tools: Pagelyzer: Compares web pagesMonitor your web content. Jpylyzer: Validates imagesJP2K validator and properties extractor. Xcorr-sound: ComMelanieImming
- Interview with a SCAPEr - Ed Fay 23/09/2014Who are you?My name is Ed Fay, I’m the Executive Director of the Open Planets Foundation.Tell us a bit about your role in SCAPE and what SCAPE work you are involved in right now?OPF has been involved in technical and take-up work all the way through the project, but right now we’re focused on sustainability – what happens to all the great results that have bJette Junge
- SCAPE Project Ends on the 30th of September 23/09/2014It is difficult to write that headline. After nearly four years of hard work, worry, setbacks, triumphs, weariness, and exultation, the SCAPE project is finally coming to an end.I am convinced that I will look back at this period as one of the highlights of my career. I hope that many of my SCAPE colleagues will feel the same way.I believe SCAPE was an outstRoss King
- Scape Demonstration: Migration of audio using xcorrSound 30/09/2014